Experience the buzz of joining an incredible community of young musicians who rehearse each week, building their musicianship, theory and performance skills in their journey through its world-renowned program.
Why Join Sydney Children’s Choir
Sydney Children’s Choir offer a standard of vocal training unsurpassed in Australia. As a result, participants are exposed to some amazing opportunities including:
- The premiere of new work by leading Australian composers such as Dan Walker, Paul Stanhope and Alice Chance.
- Random acts of magical musicality like rehearsals with special guests such as international superstar composer Nico Muhly, be part of film score recordings, participate cultural partnerships with institutions such as Sydney Living Museums and the Art Gallery of NSW and other exciting collaborations.
- Performing at major national venues such as the Sydney Opera House and City Recital Hall.
- Be part of major international events such as the Opening Ceremony of the Sydney Olympic Games, and World Youth Day.
- The ONLY Australian choir invited to perform at the World Symposium on Choral Music 2020.
- Be host to the World Choral Festival, featuring 9 international guest choirs and 21 concerts.
- Tour internationally, past destinations include Japan, Finland, China, France, Spain, England, Inner Mongolia.
- Perform with incredible international such as past collaborators the Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra and the Vienna Boys’ Choir.
- Collaborating with Australia’s leading musical artists from Opera Australia and Sydney Symphony Orchestra to Basement Jaxx.
- Be part of initiatives such as Songfest workshops across Regional NSW and the beloved Christmas concert Voices of Angels.
Our philosophy is one of inclusion and encouragement. The choirs are structured with training and performing cohorts, as well as by voice types. allowing less confident singers the chance to develop their technique without the pressure of performances. For those who have perfected their technique and theory expertise, our performing choirs are not limited by strict age group or school year hierarchies.
Our Choral Training Program strives to develop each chorister in the following areas:
*Artistic expression and style
*Professionalism (on and off stage)
*Aural skills, music theory and sight singing
All training choirs within the Sydney Children’s Choir rehearse weekly at Notre Dame University in Broadway, and performing choirs more often. Singers are expected to commit to SCC for the whole year, including one weekend camp for for Intermediate Choirs and older.
Places are currently available for new members to join the 2020 Sydney Children’s Choir.
Children in Year 1 and 2 at school receive automatic placement into SCC.
Those in Year 3 and up are invited to attend a voice placement test to find the best choir to suit their age and skill set.
Most placements will be held on Sunday 17 November at the University of Notre Dame Australia. Other placements can be held on Thursday 5 December or Thursday 19 December if needed.
Voice Placement Tests involve –
*Singing a known song from memory (unaccompanied)
*Some aural and sight singing exercises appropriate to the age of the child
*The test only takes 5-10 minutes and allows us to determine the most appropriate choir for your child.
The placements are conducted by Amandine Petit, Head of Training Choirs. More placement tests will be held in January.
We recognise the fees associated with joining Sydney Children’s Choir are beyond the reach of many families. We do our best to provide financial assistance where possible.
Sydney Children’s Choir happily accepts NSW Government’s Creative Kids vouchers.
Means tested bursaries are also available by application.